Friday, November 20, 2009

So Thankful

Here we are on the brink of another Thanksgiving. Before getting busy with the shopping, cooking, and eating that usually accompanies this holiday, I wanted to create a list of all the things for which I am thanking God. It didn’t take long before I realized that this list would be complete with just three items.
First of all, I’m thankful for the past. A few months ago, my sister, Kay, and I decided that we would not become people who long to relive those days gone by. Although the past holds many wonderful memories, there are also times tucked between the good that were bad. To be honest, some were awful days that we never wish to repeat. Kay and I agreed that we would be thankful for the blessings of the good days, the growth that resulted from the bad ones, and the ability of God to weave them all together, making us the people we are today.
Next, I’m thankful for the present, the gift of today. I only have today, so I’m going to squeeze all of the life that I can out of every minute. I want to live in such a way that the people in my life have no reason to doubt my love. Before most of them even open their eyes in the morning, I have already lifted their names in prayer. In addition, today I am going to work diligently to complete the projects that I have begun so that I can start new ones. This gives me little time to weep over the past, or worry about the future.
And speaking of the future brings me to my third area of thankfulness. I am so grateful for the future. It’s all in God’s hands, and I trust Him. As the days are revealed, He will provide the wisdom and grace to live each one to the fullest.
I hope to remember my Thanksgiving list every day. If I do that, I will follow the instructions in I Thessalonians 5:18 to “Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.”

1 comment:

  1. I love the 3 things on your list... past, present, future. God knows them all! That is certainly something to be thankful for!!!

    ReplyDelete