Thursday, July 8, 2010

Family

A long time ago, in a small town along the Mississippi River, a young couple began a family. Would they have possibly known that they would raise eight children on this farm? Could they have guessed that their home would eventually be moved so that a levee could be built? Did they imagine that they would one day have indoor plumbing and electricity? Or did this young woman, my grandmother, know that twenty years later, at the age of 47, she would give birth to her last child, my mother.
In time, the children married, moved away, and began families of their own. And on most Sundays, they returned to gather around the kitchen table to enjoy Memere’s cooking and each other’s company.
Many chapters have been written in my family’s history since those Sundays of visiting with cousins, sliding down the levee on cardboard boxes, and speaking broken French to my grandmother who spoke very little English. And in the quite open book of my life, this month’s chapter is about reconnecting with cousins I first met in Mt. Airy, and most recently visited in Phoenix.
Of my Mom’s remaining siblings, Uncle Ray lives nearby in Reserve, and Aunt Elma lives in Phoenix, surrounded by much of her family. Thanks to phones, email, and sharing photos through facebook, we have kept in touch. But that was not enough for my Mom, nor should it have been. She wanted to see her sister in person, hug her neck, sit and visit all day long. That’s why my cousin, Coy, and I drove with her to Arizona.
What began as a mission to get my Mom to Phoenix, ended with me not wanting to leave. Years melted away as I spoke with cousins. I was re-introduced to their children, many of whom I had not seen since their childhood, and met new members of this ever-increasing family. Three of my children were able to fly in to meet us, and it was a joy to sit back and watch them discover that they shared much more than DNA with these family members. There were instant connections, similar life stories, and genuine love. Between barbecues and long conversations, we were able to listen to the musical talent of family member, Kyle Phelan. My favorite song of the night, not surprisingly, was one entitled, Family. It summed up our desire to journey to Phoenix, the pleasure we had while there, and the reason we are all planning to attend a reunion next year. All because a long time ago, in a small town along the Mississippi River, a young couple began a family.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment