Thursday, June 30, 2011

Sibyl

I don't remember when I first met Sibyl Louque Loiacano, but I've known her most of my adult life. When she worked in the church nursery, every Sunday I handed little Elise, and later Victoria to her. They were her babies, she said, and when I would return to pick them up after service, they were usually sitting on her lap. Elise and Victoria were in very good hands when they were with Sibyl.
Lauren was placed under Sibyl's watchful eye when she entered school. I was so worried about sending Lauren to first grade. After homeschooling her for Kindergarten, I was well aware of her incessant talking, her reluctance to stay seated, and her ability to divert attention from what she was doing wrong to… well, anything else. I held my breath and prayed, but every minute of worrying was wasted. At the end of the year, her teacher Mrs. Pousson, and Sibyl, who was then an aide in the classroom, gushed over my little Lauren, calling her Miss Sunshine. Lauren had spent the year in very good hands.
Monique and Geoffrey were in high school when Sibyl was transferred to serve as the school secretary. Her kindness went with her. They fondly remember Sibyl ordering lunches for the students, simply waving them into class when they were tardy instead of issuing a detention, and referring to each of them as, "Love." Other teachers and administrators dealt out the discipline; Sibyl, always the mercy. Monique and Geoff were in very good hands with Sibyl.
My most recent visits with Sibyl only add to the treasured memories I have of this very special lady. I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to tell Sibyl that she was one of the Godly women my Heavenly Father knew I needed in my life, and I thanked her for her example. We reminisced about the past and she spoke frankly of the cancer invading her body. Her only concern was for her family, and for comforting and assuring everyone that she was okay. And as she spoke, she would reach out to take my hand in hers, and I realized just how much I, too, had been in good hands with Sibyl as my friend.
The last time I leaned over her bed to hug her and tell her good-bye, I whispered, "I'm going to see you again." She only smiled and nodded, perhaps knowing better than me that although we will see each other again, it was not going be in the hospice facility.
In the early morning of June 27th, as Sibyl slept peacefully, the Jesus Whom she trusted with her salvation decades ago, called her name. I believe He reached out to her, and she put her hand in His as she entered her Heavenly home. And even though my heart still hurts, it makes me smile to know that Sibyl is in Good Hands.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

2 comments:

  1. Mrs Ronnie...that was beautiful..I to have some great memories of Mrs Sibyl..I didnt know she was sick but my heart goes out to her family and friends..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phyllis BoudreauxJuly 5, 2011 at 9:45 AM

    Ronny, that was a beautiful tribute to your dear friend. Rest assured, you will see her again.

    Love, Phyllis

    ReplyDelete