Thursday, August 11, 2011

Back to School

The school supplies have been carefully selected according to the theme chosen for this year. Cheerleading practice has resumed, causing anticipation of Friday night football games. She has even purchased a dress for the Back to School dance. Okay, I'll admit she still has to finish her third summer reading book, but other than that, Victoria Grace is ready for her Junior year of high school.
Regardless of the calendar or tradition or anyone else’s viewpoint, my New Year begins with the first day of school, rather than January 1. As a former student, then a teacher, and now the mother of a high schooler and a couple of college students, I put much more preparation into the beginning of school than the beginning of a new calendar year. I believe one of the most important things I can do for my children’s academic success is to pray for their teachers. These educators, the people whom God has selected to be in my children’s lives, receive my support and daily prayer.
Though I haven't taught in a while, I still remember the energy required for the job, the many hours spent outside of the classroom preparing lessons, and the constant personal goal of treating the children as though they were my own. Teaching is demanding and exhausting, but so rewarding. My heart’s cry is for all teachers, not just the ones who have daily contact with my children, to be refreshed and ready for the challenges of their profession.
May the people who are impacting and training our next generation look to Jesus, the greatest Teacher, for the patience and wisdom to successfully impart knowledge and allow lasting learning to take place. And may they realize their classes are made up of beautifully unique individuals who are dependent upon them for instruction, understanding, and direction. Educational consultant Larry Bell's advice to teachers sums it up perfectly, “On your worst day, you are some child’s greatest hope.”
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment