Saturday, October 15, 2011

Welcome Mat

The mat outside of my front door is rather plain. It's just black scrollwork and will be there until it completely disintegrates. When I do replace it, I think I'll order the one I saw online, "Come in, but don't expect much."
If you want to see a fancy mat, go to my daughter and son-in-law's home. Theirs is beige, trimmed in black, and bears the large initial of their last name in the center. Someone gave Monique and Frank that very nice wedding gift.
Travel to Thibodaux, and you will find the other end of the doormat spectrum. Elise has several mats both outside and inside her home. Each bears a different phrase, but all have to do with college, studying, and I believe I saw the word 'party' on one. Hurry up, graduation!
Regardless of their appearance, they all perform the same function. Doormats allow people to wipe the soles of their shoes before walking indoors.
In the course of a day, a look at my shoes will reveal what I've walked through: dirt, rocks, grass, and even flowerbed mulch. While I can't stop the stuff from clinging to my shoes, I can prevent it being tracked throughout my home.
In the course of my life, I have walked through many things. It's likely you have, too. The list includes disappointments, heartaches, setbacks, employment or unemployment difficulties, sickness, financial troubles, or the challenges of raising children.
Part of every challenge is the choice to collapse or keep walking; shrink in fear or rise in faith; resent the event or become thoroughly thankful for another opportunity to grow. Regardless of the severity of the trial, I am learning to stay close to the God Who said He would never leave or forsake me. His Word in Isaiah 43:1,2 settles my soul, “Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty,
you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you." While I may not be able to avoid difficulties, I believe I can immerge from them stronger and wiser, without any junk like bitterness, worry, or condemnation clinging to me and being tracked throughout my life.
At the start of each day, I ask God's presence for every step of my walk. As I approach Him in prayer, I find He has always put out the Welcome mat.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment