Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

It's May! Flowers are blooming, children are counting down the days to summer vacation, and I just celebrated my 53rd birthday. It's okay. Really. I'm not upset about getting older, or about anyone knowing my age. I intend to always celebrate birthdays and never stop counting them. Each bears its own significance and I'm eager to see what experiences this year of life holds for me. In addition, this is the month in which we celebrate Mother's Day. I've been blessed with an excellent mother, Jeanne Keller, who is the most giving person I have ever known. She's the quiet strength that balances my Dad's outgoing and impulsive nature; the role model for every decision I make; and the ever-available grandmother to fifteen grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. Though none of us live lifestyles of the rich or famous, Mama has shown us how to celebrate every day. She excels in turning the ordinary into extraordinary and the mundane into magnificent memories. She loves unconditionally, shares unselfishly, and exhibits patience my husband only dreams of being mine. The fastest she ever moves is to pick up the check when we dine out. Despite her tremendous example, nothing I've done has been more difficult than parenting. Or more rewarding. Mothering five children has been one of the greatest joys of my life. It's incredible to watch pieces of my heart walk and talk and move independently from me, overwhelmed by the desperate desire to prevent a child from repeating my mistakes, yet painfully realizing they just might make mistakes of their own. I'm in the process of trying to download everything I think I know, and praying their gradual independence from me will lead to a lifelong, growing dependence upon God. If you are a woman blessed with a child of your own, you will probably agree that motherhood is, without question, the most important job you have ever held. From the moment of your child’s conception, you have accepted the responsibility to care for this miraculous life. Mothers share the incredible challenge to be available 24 hours of every day. A wise woman realizes this task is impossible without God’s continual assistance, and she seeks His guidance daily. No one but God realizes the amount of time and energy you put into raising your children, and only He can equip you for this lifelong commitment. I honor you for the job you’re doing with your children, and I know your impact reaches far past your own family. You often go beyond your borders and touch the lives of all of the children you love… nieces, nephews, grandchildren, students, children of friends and your neighbor’s children, as well. I want to speak for them, for all of the children you have mothered, and thank you for a job well done. I want to stand, representing them, and applaud your unselfish and often sacrificial gifts of time, energy, love, and, yes, money. And I want to kneel in their place and ask our Father to strengthen you, to energize you, to fill you and allow you to overflow with His love, joy, peace, mercy, wisdom, and blessings. Psalm 127:3 beautifully declares, "children are a gift of the Lord; the fruit of the womb is a reward." May God continue to pour out His grace on all mothers as we daily care for our precious gifts. Whether you have yet to celebrate Mother's Day, or if it was a few days ago, it's never too early or too late to call, write, or visit your Mom. If she's anything like me, the more unexpected the contact, the greater it is appreciated. If your mother is already gone, write a note to a young mother in need of encouragement, or someone who has been a mother figure to you. Now, please excuse me. I have a call to make. Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment