Thursday, June 28, 2012

PawPaw's Eulogy by Lauren and Elise

Elise - I never thought this day would ever actually come. PawPaw was with us our whole lives and it's strange to be surrounded by so much of our family today, and not have him here. Lauren -We've spent the weekend telling favorite Paw Paw stories, and sorting through photographs, pausing with each one, to share our memories. When we would visit PawPaw, if we had a complaint, whether it was a stomach ache or a headache or a zit, Paw Paw would go to his medicine cabinet and find the remedy. He always wanted to make things better for us. Elise-I remember the long walks on the levee, picking up cans with a stick, and whining when we stopped walking and I realized how far we were away from home. I never thought I'd make it back, but PawPaw always made sure I did. Even if it isn't after one of those long walks, there's still something comforting about turning down E 19 St. I never knew what PawPaw was going to say. I walked into the kitchen last Thanksgiving and he immediately told me, "Elise, it looks like your boyfriend has been feeding you well." When we would compliment MawMaw's meals, he would quickly tell us that he was the one who spent hours cooking it. He once told my cousin that he was once a major league baseball player. But PawPaw never had to tease us about cooking or being in the major leagues to get our respect. He was our Hero just because we knew how much he loved us. Lauren- I'll never forget all of the Taco Bell he used to bring me on Saturday nights. It's still my favorite food group. I'll never forget his smile, or the last time I heard him tell me he loved me. I'll never forget watching him reaching for my MawMaw's hand. I'll never forget how I felt when I heard he died. I'll never forget my PawPaw. Elise- I'm so grateful for him teaching my dad how to love his wife, raise his kids, and support his family. He was a fighter and one of the best examples of what a true man is. I cannot even say how grateful I am to have spent the past 20 years with him. I love him forever. Lauren- It's strange to go to his house now and not see him It's been hard.. really hard. He would have loved to have been with us when we gathered together at his house-with his children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren... and of course, his wife, but when I think about it, he WAS there… in the legacy he left behind. Without him, we wouldn't be here. I'm so thankful for my Paw-Paw, and I hope he has fun in Heaven because after dealing with me as a granddaughter, he deserves it

No comments:

Post a Comment