Thursday, September 20, 2012

Looking Like Ann


A few spots of skin cancer in the past provide ample motivation to keep my appointments with the dermatologist. Last week I expected a quick visit and a good report. What I didn't expect was a case of mistaken identity.
            He walked into the room, greeted me, and looked at my chart. He looked at me again, this time clearly puzzled, and said, "I'll be right back. I have the wrong chart"
            I glanced at my name on the chart and said, "No, that's my chart."
            "Are you sure? Aren't you Mrs. Watson?"
            If only I had a tank of gas for every time I heard that. "That's my sister," I explained.
            "Are y'all twins?" he asked.
            "No, but we are often mistaken for each other even though Ann is younger, thinner, and cuter."
            I should be used to this confusion. A clerk at the grocery store once said, "You changed your shirt."
            "What?" I asked.
            "You were just in here wearing a different shirt." And once again I had to explain it was my sister.
            Ann's co-workers and my husband's friends have also been baffled, as well as our parents who cannot tell our voices apart on the phone. Looking and sounding like Ann is effortless, but I would really have to work at having her patience, kindness, and thoughtfulness.  
            And while I'm listing qualities to emulate, I must look at the character of Christ. If I am to follow Paul's instructions in Ephesians 5:1 to be an imitator of God, I should study His word, hear His heart, and live by His example. Overwhelming? Yes! At least for me it is until I break it down and realize I just need to start with what Jesus said. " Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it. Love your neighbor as yourself."
            That will surely keep me busy! The time will just fly by. Before I am ready, three weeks will pass and I'll be back at the dermatologist for my follow-up. Would it be wrong to send Ann in my place?

No comments:

Post a Comment