Saturday, December 1, 2012

Plans



I love a project. My daughter's latest one has me finding my way back to the sewing machine. Monique's search for nursery bedding, conducted throughout the world wide web, has resulted in a box filled with beautiful fabric. Pastel colored lovebirds, paisley, stripes and dots stare at me, begging to be taken out, measured, cut, and pieced together to form a comforter, dust ruffle, and pillow to surround baby Olivia with warmth and beauty.
            If you could see the pictures in my mind, you would be surprised by the coarse sketches I've made to guide me through this latest endeavor. I do have a plan, which is gradually taking shape, but only I know it. Even when questioned by Monique, my response is, "Trust me. I know what I'm doing."
            Washington Roebling had a much greater plan to carry out. Upon his father's death, he became the chief engineer of the Brooklyn Bridge. An injury confined him to his home where he shared his plans with his wife, who took it upon herself to learn the art of bridge building. Daily she carried his plans to the site and took over many of the supervision and project management duties.
            When at last the great bridge was completed, Roebling was placed on a cot and carried to the bridge. After allowing his eyes to examine every facet of the structure, he joyfully exclaimed, "It's just like the plan; it's just like the plan."
            An even greater plan by an infinitely greater Architect is being carried out today. We may not see the full picture right now, but God does. Jeremiah 29:11 assures me of that, " 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "
            We may not understand or even appreciate the simple day to day tasks we face, but if we remain diligent and focused and faithful to complete each one, we will gradually see the bigger picture. The events we call coincidences, the people we meet, and the situations we face, when treated as Divine appointments, all work toward God's plan. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28.
            Although I'm sometimes tempted to question God, I've decided to wait it out. Besides, I'm sure I'd hear Him say something like, "Trust me. I know what I'm doing."
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment