Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Truth about Victoria's College Decision

I’m a stickler for the truth, and have occasionally investigated the stories I receive in email on www.snopes.com. It’s not a trust issue. I just don’t want to spread tales that aren’t true.
            Some of these urban legends have wonderful meanings and full circle conclusions. They would make fabulous fables. And I admit to being more than a little disappointed to learn that a cut onion placed  in my room will not really absorb the flu virus. I guess as long as I’m going for full disclosure, I should also admit that, despite snopes, I will continue to rub Vicks VapoRub on the bottom of my feet at night to prevent nighttime coughing.
            Something else I recently researched had to do with eagles. I’ve heard many interesting stories about eagles, including the belief that if an eagle strays too far from its home, pressure on its eyes urges it to return home. The suggestion being we, as Christians, likewise experience a type of pressure, or spiritual nudge,  to return to the Father.
            I love that story;  however, I’ve yet to be able to confirm it. I even asked Veronica Sylvest to check out the story with her husband and her son. Still nothing about the pressure of eagle’s eyes. I want it to be true. I want it to be true for eagles, for Christians, and for my own children.
             I have, not quite jokingly, told my children they are allowed to live within a two hour radius from me. It can be two hours away in any direction. The choice is theirs. (I’m not trying to control their lives.)
            The reason for my request is, of all things, Grandparent’s Day. When I taught, I was often upset for the children whose grandparents were unable to attend the annual celebration because they lived too far away. I decided as long as my grandchildren lived with two hours from my home, I could drive to their school for lunch, check them out of school after lunch, take them to the park, zoo, mall, and/or Chuck E. Cheese, return them to their parents, and still be able to drive home that night. (Perhaps my husband is right when he says my mind never rests.)
            Somehow, in all of my instructions about their future homes, I neglected to include conditions for college. Therefore, I blame myself for Victoria’s inclusion of Northwestern University in her list of college possibilities. Northwestern is in Natchitoches! Four hours away! What is she thinking?! (Please don’t answer.)
            When my soul was finally settled,  and I had not only accepted, but actually embraced the fact that my youngest is confident enough to consider such a move, she approached me with a simple question, “You are going to visit me if I go to Northwestern, aren’t you?” I explained the distance, the hours of driving, and the unlikelihood of a lunch date. I did add that perhaps I could plan an overnight stay every other month. Even as I was speaking, I thought, my radius has just expanded to four hours.
            And that’s the truth.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

2 comments:

  1. Natchitoches is 4 hours from Houston and is also famous for its meat pies. I love road trips. I love local cuisine. And that's the truth. Wanna meet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course!!! I would love to visit, Lori. Maybe, soon!!!

    ReplyDelete