Thursday, February 7, 2013

Olivia Renee



Dear World,
            Some days, like today, I feel a tremendous need to apologize. Although there is plenty enough time in my day, 24 hours, the same as the President, the Pope, and the patient publisher  who honors me with a column in this paper, I don’t seem to check off many of the items on my ‘To Do’ list.
            For example, the light is streaming in from my front door and one of the sidelites. The other sidelite has the new window treatment I made following my daughter Victoria’s design. I have enough fabric, matching trim, thread, and every intention to finish this project. Stay tuned. As soon as the window covering project is complete, I will move on to Elise’s skirt. Trust me, (Elise seems to), it will not only be cute, it will be finished by the time of her cruise. I promise. So while I’m listing projects, I must confess to a smocked bonnet I’ve yet to complete, two T-shirt quilts I never started, and a couple of ideas for a book.
            But have you heard? My second grandchild, Olivia Renee Roth, was born on the first day of February, at 8:29 p.m. I’m very sure about the time of her birth because I snapped a picture of the clock as soon as I saw her for the first time. Then I jumped into action. I needed to capture  her first moments of life and I did. Over and over again. In addition, I took a few pictures with my phone and sent them to the anxious friends and family members in the waiting room. And all the while, I was trying to catch the emotions spilling out of my heart so that I could offer them up to God in silent, yet fervent prayers of thanksgiving. Oh, how I love this new baby!
            So, while on the outside, I may look like a scattered,  middle-aged woman whose dreams include reaching her driver’s license weight, on the inside, I am running. Many times during the day and sometimes in the middle of the night, I run to the side of my Father for a moment. Sometimes for a favor, but many, many times I just need to say ‘thanks.’
            Thank You, God, for the joy I experience over sunlight pouring through an uncovered window, Victoria’s creativity, and the ability to find more enjoyment in sewing than shopping. (But it’s a close race.) Thank You ringing of my phone, and the beeping of a text message, and the precious people behind each one, but most of all for the ability to talk to You without the need of technology. And thank You, thank You, thank You, for another limb on my family tree. Olivia’s life has already brought a change to mine. My heart has again grown to comfortably and gratefully embrace her.
            Soon enough I will return to my projects, but please be patient, and quiet, while I rock Olivia. It’s now my top priority.
With love, Ronny

1 comment: