Friday, April 12, 2013

Touring My Heart



Although I had read  Steel Magnolias, I had never seen the entire movie, nor did I know it was based on a true story. It didn’t take me long to catch up when my sister in law Vicki and I visited Natchitoches. Vicki and I could be rightfully accused of having a good time anywhere we go. Our latest adventure,  relaxing for three days in the oldest city in Louisiana, was a first time visit I hope becomes annual.
We stayed at the Steel Magnolia house, or M’Lynn’s house in the movie. I slept in Shelby’s room which really is pink, her signature color, and perfectly matches the pink tub in the adjacent bathroom. The home was built in 1840 and used as a hospital during the Civil War. It was once visited by Ulysses S. Grant and much later by Julia Roberts, Sally Field, Shirley MacLaine, Olympia Dukakis, Dolly Parton, and Daryl Hannah while filming the movie bearing its present name. Although beautiful, its appeal is the history and people whose shadows once darkened the French doors of the stately home.
During the tour, which blended historical facts, movie trivia, and heartfelt facts about the family on whom the film was based, I began to think, What would a tour of my house be like? I laughed to myself as I thought of having to describe the various people who we’ve had the pleasure of entertaining. The children’s slumber parties, bridal and baby showers, crawfish boils, Bible studies, birthday celebrations, and impromptu gatherings over lemon pie which all blend to write our family’s history. Then I thought, What would a tour of my heart be like?
I’d like to say that my heart has never entertained wrong ideas or harbored negative attitudes. I’d love to say ill feelings towards others have never visited, much less found a place to rest there. However, all I can truthfully say is my prayer is much like that of David’s when he wrote, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23,24)
I hope to always respond to God as He is faithful to illuminate any dark areas and challenges me to change. May He always point out a wall I need to break down, regardless of where it is and how long ago it was built, so that I remain open to His plan for my future. And may He always show me how to strengthen and build up any weak areas to be sure the foundation remains strong.
On a tour of our hearts, may peace, wisdom, and faith found to be permanent residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment