Friday, June 14, 2013

Promises, Promises



“Remember when you promised to take me back for a tour?” She never forgot to say it every single time we passed Destrehan Plantation. My response varied according to the situation.
            “We’re already running late.” “I don’t have time.” “I don’t feel like it.”
            Elise would persist with the memory which prompted the promise. “I was in third grade on a field trip. Mrs. Selina called you to come and get me because I threw up. I never even got to go inside the plantation.” Thirteen years later and she could still recite the story.
            That all changed a few days ago. Elise and Victoria wanted to accompany me to a paint store in Covington. In an odd act of preparation, I called the store to check on the hours and discovered it is closed on Mondays. Plan B, if left to my daughters, would have been shopping. Before they could say “Charge,” I made an announcement: lunch and a tour of Destrehan Plantation. It’s part of my Discover Louisiana summer agenda. Fulfilling a promise was an added benefit.
            Do I keep all of my promises? Sadly,  no. However, I serve a Someone Who does. “For no matter how many promises God has made, they are ‘Yes’ in Christ. And so through Him the ‘Amen’ is spoken by us to the glory of God.” 2 Corinthians 1:20
            What’s my part? Just to believe. And I do. I don’t know when or even where, and I’m okay with that. God’s timetable is not mine and if I have to wait until Heaven, that’s okay, too. I’ve decided to continue to trust in His faithfulness.
            As we concluded her long-awaited visit, I told Elise, “I think you appreciate the tour more now that you’re older. You probably wouldn’t have understood it 13 years ago.”
            It makes me wonder if God holds a few answers, a few surprises for later in life when they are more appreciated.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment