Friday, July 5, 2013

Praying



           I once belonged to a book club. Well, it started off as a book club. Some of the members read every book suggested even if it meant going without sleep the night before the meeting. Others read portions of the book, and the rest never read a word. It didn’t matter. I considered the books an excuse to visit over dinner, and in that respect, the group was 100% successful.
            I miss that book club. Until another one begins, I have my writers’ group. Well, it started off as a writers’ group before evolving into a monthly lunch date. We still talk about writing, yet there’s no pressure to produce. Catching up on each other’s lives, sharing events of common interest, and having lunch are the items on the agenda and we thoroughly cover each topic.
            I also belong to a Bible study group. Well, it started off as a Bible study group. (Does anyone see a pattern developing?) After watching a few DVDs, we decided to nix the formal study and focus on fellowship and prayer. Oh, and breakfast.
            Last week’s gathering began casually, then took an unexpected turn and dove headfirst into current events: crime, immigration, social issues, and politics. Facts and opinions flew as we uncovered breakfast casseroles, poured coffee, and settled into position around the table before verbalizing the answer to every question raised. Prayer. Not throwing our hands up in resignation with a quick “God Bless America,” but fervent prayer on behalf of our nation fulfilling the instructions of 1 Timothy 2:1-3 to pray for our leaders.
Our role of daily prayer for the community, state, and nation may not be visible; however, it is vital. May we never forget God’s promise to King Solomon in 2 Chronicles 7:14, “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
That morning, as I prayed with my friends, I marveled at the privilege of prayer. While communicating with the God of the universe, burdens go from our hearts to His ear. Although an important element of our church services, prayer is just as effective in our homes, while gathered around a friend’s kitchen table, as I rock my granddaughters, welcome the sun from my favorite spot on the patio swing, or even while in the check-out line. Standing behind someone with a basketful of groceries and a handful of coupons is a great opportunity to cover a lot of ground.
Hmmm. Coupons. I could save a lot of money if I join a coupon club. Maybe we could meet at Baskin-Robbins

No comments:

Post a Comment