Thursday, January 9, 2014

Interfere? Who? Me?



“It’s the job of grandmothers to interfere.” No , that’s not the bumper sticker on my car. It was spoken by one of my favorite fictional characters, Violet Crawley, on the PBS series Downton Abbey. While the line made me laugh, it also forced a quick self-evaluation of my role as a grandmother.
            I don’t want to interfere, I don’t try to interfere, and I certainly don’t think I interfere. However, the only problem with a self-evaluation is that it’s filtered only by one’s own thoughts. Nevertheless, I forged on.
I thought about the times my daughters have asked my opinion regarding my two granddaughters and tried to decide if I went beyond their questions with unsolicited advice. When asked to help chose Christmas gifts, I told them to get light, plastic, easy-to-clean little kitchen sets. They both chose heavy, wooden, vintage-painted sets, with a 51-step assembly process. It was worth it because both Adeline and Olivia are having a great time with their beautiful new kitchens.
I’ve also been quizzed on party themes, locations, and whether or not to open the gifts during the party. “Definitely during the party, Monique. She’s only turning one. What else are we going to do?”
“Then why did you tell me to let Adeline wait to open hers?” Lauren asked. 
I forgot about that. I think it was because the children were outside playing games and I didn’t think they would want to stop. Oh, well, at least my medical advice is consistent. “Call the doctor,” or “Go to Urgent Care.”
What I lack in advice, I make up for in prayer. I cannot describe how much I love those little girls and the prayers I began praying before they were born have only increased. So what if I have a different opinion on their toys, don’t know how to plan their parties, and have no medical training. My prayers surround Adeline and Olivia and I am committed to continue. With all my heart I believe it’s the job of grandmothers to pray.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment