Thursday, February 6, 2014

To Undecorate, or Not to Undecorate



I’m usually not one to brag, but guess who is almost finished taking down her Christmas decorations? Almost.
            Why can’t I be one of those people who artistically keeps a little Christmas décor in each room year round? Or creatively decorates the tree to correspond with each season? No, not me.  No matter how I try, it still looks as though the party’s over and I’ve yet to clean up.
I tried to tell myself that red and gold would take me through Valentine’s Day. I even put a heart-trimmed bowl on the kitchen table. It’s just not working so it’s all getting packed away: the red ornaments, the gold ribbon, and maybe even the bowl. It’s all going back to the plastic bins. But not the nativity scene.
When I ordered the plastic Little People nativity scene, I did so with the intention of keeping it out year-round for my granddaughters.  Right now, Olivia just likes to climb over the crèche and Adeline thinks it’s funny to replace the angel on top of the stable with a wise man or a cow.  But I believe with enough repetitive story-telling, (just ask my kids how good I am at that!) the girls will be fully aware of the details surrounding Jesus’ birth before I haul out those bins of Christmas decorations again. And when those little children tell us the Christmas story, well, I’ll leave the bragging rights to their parents. Besides, I’ll be too busy decorating for Christmas.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment