Thursday, March 20, 2014

Trophies of Grace




            There they sat. In the corner of Geoffrey’s closet. Lots of trophies earned by him and sister Monique. Cleaning out the closet in the room once used by Monique, then Geoffrey, provided a lesson in their history. The trophies were earned for academics, athletics, personality, and even piano. (On a side note, if I had a do-over I would require my children to remain in piano lessons until they graduated high school.)
            I couldn’t wait until Monique and Geoffrey There they sat. In the corner of Geoffrey’s closet. Lots of trophies earned by him and sister Monique. Cleaning out the closet in the room once used by Monique, then Geoffrey, provided a lesson in their history. The trophies were earned for academics, athletics, personality, and even piano. (On a side note, if I had a do-over I would require my children to remain in piano lessons until they graduated high school.)
            I couldn’t wait until Monique and Geoff dropped by. I just knew they would be thrilled to take their hard-earned prizes to their own homes. Later that evening when they visited, I brought out the trophies. They and their spouses enjoyed going through the box and reading each of the engraved brass plates. However, no one wanted to take them home! “You have to,” I insisted, “they’re yours.” No responses. Time to tug on the hearts. “Monique, one day  Olivia will want these. She will want to know what her mother did in school”
            “No offense, Mom, but I don’t want any of your trophies. Why would Olivia want mine?” No offense taken. Honestly, I have no clues as to what happened to my trophies.
Anyway, where did this idea of trophies begin? The word trophy is derived from the Greek word tropaion and means any property or person captured in battle. Ancient Romans celebrated their military successes by exhibiting newly conquered captives and treasures in a parade while burning incense to the gods.
This practice is alluded to in 2 Corinthians 2:14. The Amplified version of the Bible gives an interesting translation. “But thanks be to God, Who in Christ always leads us in triumph [as trophies of Christ’s victory] and through us spreads and makes evident the fragrance of the knowledge of God everywhere.” We’re trophies of His grace, a constant display of His love. Makes me want to check myself to be sure I’m accurately reflecting my God.
            As to my children’s trophies, they are not on display. Rather, there they sit. In the corner of my garage. Lots of trophies.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment