Thursday, December 4, 2014

Christmas is Coming



           “Tree goes outside.” My granddaughter Olivia is quite confused as to why her normally sane parents would haul a large tree into their home and cover it with lights and ornaments.
            Monique, her mom, needs to tell her, “Because Christmas is coming Olivia, that’s why. It’s also why I  bring you to the store to see if there’s an Olivia-sized bicycle for your grandmother to buy since she insists on giving you one for Christmas.”
            It’s true. I want to give her a bicycle because I’m giving one to my other granddaughter, Adeline.  Monique wants me to give Olivia a 17-piece musical instrument set.
            “She loves music,” Monique said.
            “You’re having another baby in March and you want Olivia running around the house with 17 noisemakers?” I asked.
            “Well, no,” she said and continued the bicycle search.
             While scholars argue the actual birth date, I am quite content to celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25th. The end of the year is a wonderful time to remember the fulfillment of God’s promise, the birth of our Savior. Although trees, lights and gifts have become a part of that celebration, may we never lose sight of that first Christmas season.
             Life must have looked pretty good to Mary before the angel’s visit. Her engagement to Joseph was likely the fulfillment of her dream. Then the Holy Spirit surrounded her, the power of God overshadowed her, and Jesus, the Word in flesh, was implanted in her. Her dream was about to take on incredible new dimensions. The Word inside of her caused her to grow, but not just physically. He changed her plans and challenged the thinking of those with whom she was in contact.
            A few months later, while most of the world was sleeping, she brought forth Life when Jesus, the Light of the word, was humbly born in a stable. The One Who had already changed her was about to shake the community and eventually the world.
           Although the story of Jesus’ life on Earth begins with Christmas, it doesn’t end there. He didn’t remain in the manger. Jesus grew, led a sinless life as He taught, healed, delivered and loved. He then became the ultimate sacrifice when He willingly died on the cross for our sins.
           Every time I reflect on the first Christmas, I am challenged. Have I made room in my heart for Jesus? Will I allow Him to change me, enlarge my vision and challenge my thoughts? And do the people around me know about that first Christmas?
           Just as in the time of Mary, there are many people living good lives, dreaming good dreams and making commonsense plans. But do they know the entire Christmas story of the Greatest Gift?
           I think Olivia’s right. We should take the tree outside; take the celebration of Jesus out of the confinement of our homes and into our communities. And Olivia will lead the way with 17 instruments.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment