Thursday, June 9, 2011

Who's Got Mail?

What did you discover the last time you read your mail?
Unsealing an envelope, especially one on which the address is handwritten, is enough to make me smile as I anticipate the news I am about to receive. Through this means, I have learned of births, graduations, marriages, and most recently, the beginning of my cousin, Kenneth's new computer business.
My sister-in-law, Vicki, stepped back in time when she opened the bundle of letters she inherited. Dating back to 1895 and spanning 25 years, the letters capture the thoughts, daily life, and advice of her great-grandmother. This lively lady detailed the success of her garden, warned her sons of the dangers of drinking, instructed them on what to wear to a wedding, and unapologetically shared her opinions about their relationships.
Her letters sound like the text messages I send my children. Well, except for the successful garden part. My three tomato plants look like the before picture for an advertisement for Miracle-Gro.
Jesus' brother, James, had some advice of his own. In the book bearing his name, he begins by saying "consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." (James 1:2) Now this is a perfect example of a verse I would rather discuss than experience, but I think of it whenever life issues a challenge. In my latest attempt to find joy in a trial, I came to the conclusion that joy comes the moment I stop trying to figure out the answer and fully release the situation to God's will. James continues to instruct me to ask God for the wisdom to know what to do, not doubting, but fully expecting Him to answer. (1:5,6)
The letter James wrote is filled with wisdom applicable today. He reminds us of our need to extend mercy, since we have been forgiven of so much. (2:12-13) His words also provoke us to action. Although we do not obtain salvation by good works, but rather through faith in Jesus Christ, faith should result in good deeds. (2:14-26) I think it's simply a matter of obedience. While we should always pray for the needs of others, sometimes God tells us to be the answer to the problem, and that's when our faith is put into action. In skipping ahead to the end of chapter 4, James writes, "anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."
And it's not enough to do the right thing, but to say the right thing. He begins chapter 3 with a warning about the need to control the tongue. Comparing it to a fire starting by a tiny spark, he writes of the need to tame the tongue. Like a fire, harsh words destroy. Lying, gossip, manipulation, and berating can destroy people and relationships. To again borrow James' words, "be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger." (1:19)
I think I'll summarize the letter James wrote in a text message to my children today. I'll use James 2:8, "Love your neighbor as yourself."
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment