Thursday, December 20, 2012

Making A List



My family has taken group texting to a whole new level. Ann, my youngest sister, sent a message to ten of us suggesting a time and place to pull names for Christmas gift giving. 166 text messages later (I couldn't believe it either!) it was done. Not only did we break a family, and possibly a world record for the longest group message in the shortest amount of time, we have taken our tradition of pulling names to the internet.
            Brittany, Ann's daughter, registered our family's information on www.drawnames.com, a site which does the name picking for you. There's even a place to specify immediate family members so that they don't get each other's name. Once the information is logged into the system, an email sends you the name you (or the computer) picked and a link to their wish list. The best part is the ability to view everyone's gift list.
            Frank's list was quite revealing. Normally a Home Depot gift card is the perfect present for him. Still in the midst of repairing their home from Hurricane Isaac's visit, it seems as though he's ready for a little diversion. My son-in-law requested a gift card from Academy, an LSU or Saints shirt, and, I quote, "socks, because Monique doesn't wash mine."
            My niece Mattie's list was the perfect ending to the night. After listing a few of her favorite things, she concluded with, "Don't stress… grateful for anything. J" It made me smile, too, Mattie.
            Gift-giving shouldn't be stressful; it's truly one of my favorite things. Gift-receiving, on the other hand, has occasionally induced stress. A recent text message from Lauren read, " You'll love your Christmas present. I've been saving up for it." Now that scares me. Please, Lauren, please put that money away for Adeline's education. Trust me, you'll need it.
            At least Lauren's text was better than the comment I've occasionally heard while being handed a gift, "When you open this, you'll cry." What? Talk about pressure! Their expectation of a dramatic reaction leaves me wishing the gift was the ability to weep on demand.
            In the midst of all of the Christmas preparations, I am often visited by the questions, how much of this celebration is really about the birth of Jesus? How many parties have completely ignored the guest of honor? At how many birthday celebrations have I arrived empty handed? What would be on Jesus' wish list?
            Maybe one of the answers would be daily communication with His children. Reading my children's text messages, answering their phone calls (including the one Lauren accidentally made to me while dropping her phone in her boot while at work) and real, live visits with my family and friends are gifts I hope to never take for granted. Even those 166 messages. I'd like to think I've met my personal goal of praying and just talking to Jesus as much as I interact with others, however I'm sure I've fallen short on many occasions.
            So what am I going to do this season? I'm going to continue to enjoy the decorations, attempt to make pralines, buy a few more gifts, savor the family moments, continue to search for the white mesh ribbon I put around the front door last year, and most of all, I will lengthen and strengthen my communication with the One for Whom we celebrate December 25th. I hope to take my relationship with Jesus to a whole new level

No comments:

Post a Comment