Thursday, April 29, 2010

Activated Obedience

Regardless of our mission, when Brenda Pousson and I are together we usually add a ‘quick stop to shop’ to our day. We were in the middle of one such impromptu mall visit when my husband called.
“Still at the doctor’s office?” Michael asked.
“All done. Everything’s fine.”
“Great! Are y’all stopping for lunch?”
“Just ate. Now we’re in Macy’s.”
“Your new card came in. Don’t forget to activate it when you get home.”
I held up my shopping bag as though he could see it. “Oh, my account is very active.” I keep that account active by using it. Sometimes I buy something for myself, but usually my children benefit from my purchases.
Michael’s reminder to activate my account set catapulted my thoughts far from the mall. Over and over I wondered, Have I activated my faith recently? For what, for whom am I using my faith?
As soon as my heart was settled and at peace with my responses, I remembered the instructions in 2 Peter 1: 5-7, “… add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.” Wow! It takes a lot of faith for me to believe that I can do all of those things! However, I have a huge desire to obey God’s Word.
That desire originates from a heart full of love for Him, and eternal gratefulness for all He has done, then extends to thoughts of my children. Their lives are affected by my decisions. Although they have the responsibility to find and maintain an ever-increasing relationship with their Savior, I want them to benefit, and not be hindered, by my example. My prayer is for my life, and my activated obedience to the Word of God, to leave a clear path with strong imprints of the way to the Father.

Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment