Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mothers!

Hearts in Touch
By Ronny Michel
“Now that my grandchildren have gotten older, they don’t need me.” My Mom tossed this shocker into our otherwise upbeat conversation.
I wonder if she knows that Dad feels the same way. Just a few days ago, we had this exact conversation.
She continued, “Your Dad and I talked about it and we realize we’re no longer needed.”
It’s no wonder they sound alike. They’ve rehearsed this! So that’s what they talk about on their daily trips to shop, dine out with friends, or attend high school sporting events? Or do they discuss this during their weekly trips to minister at the drug rehab?
“Mom, all this time, for all of these years, I have felt guilty for asking you and Dad to take my kids to the doctor, dentist, and orthodontist. More guilt was added for those field trips both of you chaperoned, and the lunches you delivered to the kids at school. I thought you’d be relieved to rest. I should have asked you to bring Victoria to the dentist. Michael just dropped her off and made her call when she was finished. I couldn’t believe my husband didn’t wait for our child.”
“Well, you should have called me. I would have waited for her,” she smugly replied.
I’ll just start thinking of things they can do for us so they’ll feel useful again.
“I have an appointment at the eye doctor Monday. Can you bring me? I don’t like to drive when my eyes are dilated?”
We both smiled as she agreed.
Parents! They give and give and give, and then when they have an opportunity to rest, they want to give more. They should be appreciated daily, but sometimes it takes a conversation such as the one I had, or an annual holiday, to celebrate these treasured people.
With Mother’s Day near, let’s remember to honor the special women who have poured into our lives. I am thankful for the countless ways mothers care for their children, and grandchildren, and for their daily examples of unconditional love. May they see the result of every prayer that has been whispered over a cradle, or cried out in desperation. I’m also mindful of women whose hearts are full, yet their arms are empty. May God bless you with the precious gift of a child.
Now, back to my own mother. Thank you for continuing to be a shining example of a wife, mother, and grandmother. Your grandchildren may not need you as they once did, but their phone calls, invitations to lunch, and requests for cooking classes are proof that they still adore having you in their lives. And let me remind you and Dad that one of your great-grandsons will enter preschool this fall. Let the field trips begin!
Oh, and by the way, why did you just drop me off at the eye doctor? I had to call you to come and get me. You never would have done that to Victoria.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like your mom has been talking to my mom...how did they get each other's numbers?!!
    Amen to your prayer! And have a blessed Mother's Day, and a Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA - May you and your Mom celebrate a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete