Thursday, November 11, 2010

Leave a Legacy

Although I don’t dwell there, it’s not unusual for me to reflect upon the past. Planting flowers brings back happy memories of my grandmother and her love of the garden. Old, and even recent, photographs cause me to smile as I remember the occasion which provoked the click of the camera lens. And when I’m in a tight spot, I remember the many times God has either rescued me, or given me grace to endure.
Lately, I’ve found myself swimming in two different streams of thought. I’ve been reflecting on the history of my hometown, Reserve, Louisiana, and planning for the future as I contemplate the letter I will place in the 50 Year Time Capsule.
Reserve is in the midst of a Sesquicentennial Celebration, the 150th anniversary of its founding. The past has been remembered through a Lecture Series and a documentary which weaves historic photographs and interviews into a film sure to be viewed and enjoyed for years to come. (The film will be televised on WLAE, Saturday, November 13, at 9:00 p.m.)Believing there is no better way to preserve the history of Reserve than by transferring it to the future generation, the Sesquicentennial Committee sponsored an Educator’s Workshop which encouraged the inclusion of oral history projects in the classroom. Our personal histories should be passed on to those who follow in our footsteps.
A Fun Day is planned to celebrate the present with the best of Reserve’s food and music, along with games and activities for the next generation. This event, on Sunday, November 14, at Regala Park, from 11:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., is also the event at which a letter and photo may be submitted for the Time Capsule. And here’s where this column takes a peek into my home.
Always the planner, I wanted to be sure my children would attend the opening of the Time Capsule. I asked each of them to make a mental note to show up in 50 years so they could read my letter.
I phoned Monique at work to inform her of the event scheduled to take place in 2060. “I don’t know,” she said, “that’s a big commitment.” She thinks that’s a big commitment?! She’s in the midst of planning a wedding!
Elise took my request quite seriously, and responded, “When I’m 69? I hope I remember! What if I forget? Tell Victoria to remind me! Where will it be?”
Lauren and Victoria were together when I told them the news. “I really don’t think I’ll remember,” Victoria instantly said. She asked her sister, “Lauren, will you remind me?”
“Yes,” Lauren assured her, “I’ll pick you up. We can go together.” I hope they remember to include Elise.
My parents just happened to walk into my kitchen right after I asked Geoff to prioritize this event. “Mom, we talk so much,” he said, “Can’t you tell me everything you want to say right now?”
Turning to my Dad, who is near the age Geoff will be when the Time Capsule is opened, I asked, “What would it mean to you to read a 50 year old letter from your parents right now?” For a man of many words, my Dad found none with which to form a response. Sometimes the absence of words relays more emotion than the most eloquent of speeches.
Although I will add a letter to the Time Capsule, I’d like to warn, I mean, assure Geoff of my intention to tell him everything I need to right now. It’s part of my response to something I read years ago. “If you were going to die soon, who would you call? What would you say? Why are you waiting?”
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment