Thursday, November 18, 2010

So Thankful

Can we all agree not to rush Thanksgiving? I realize the stores are already displaying Christmas trees, gifts, and candy. I understand the desire for Christmas music, and I admit to already collecting Christmas lists from my children. Well, two of them. Monique and Geoffrey were the only ones to respond, so I guess Lauren, Elise, and Victoria want to be surprised. But please allow me a chance to enjoy this week of Giving Thanks. It won’t take long. I promise. I’m only thankful for three things.
First of all, I’m thankful for the past. My sister, Kay, and I have a pact. We will not become people who long to relive those days gone by. Although the past holds many wonderful memories, there are also times tucked between the good which were bad. To be honest, some were awful days we never wish to repeat. Kay and I agree to be thankful for the blessings of the good days, appreciate the growth resulting from the bad ones, and forever be grateful for God’s ability to weave them all together for our good.
Next, I’m thankful for the present; the gift of today. I only have this moment, so I’m going to squeeze all of the life I can out of every minute. I want to live in such a way that the people in my life have no reason to doubt my love. Before most of them even open their eyes in the morning, I have already brought their names before God in prayer. In addition, today I am going to work diligently to complete the projects I have begun so I can start new ones. This gives me little time to weep over the past, or worry about the future.
And speaking of the future brings me to my third area of thankfulness. I am so grateful for the days to come. They are all in God’s hands, and I trust Him. I commit the unknown future to the well-known God, Who said in Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you… plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” As the days are revealed, He will provide the wisdom and grace to handle each one. I am sure of it.
While Thanksgiving Day comes once a year, taking a few minutes to thank God for all He has done should be daily. “Give thanks to the Lord for He is good. His love endures forever.” Psalm 136:1

Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment