Thursday, January 27, 2011

March for Life

My decision to become an elementary teacher was motivated, in part, by my own educational experiences at St. Peter School in Reserve. To this day, whenever I drive past the school, I am brought back to the days of skating parties, Christmas cantatas, penny parties, and school plays. Adding to those happy memories was the fact that we lived within walking distance from the school. This allowed me to go home for lunch; something I never did on the days cinnamon rolls were served in the cafeteria.
Another equally vivid memory is from my Eighth Grade year. We were informed of a case which had been brought before the Supreme Court, Roe v. Wade, and were encouraged to write letters to the highest court in our land, asking them to protect the life of the unborn. Despite the efforts of pro-life supporters, on January 22, 1973, the Supreme Court declared abortion to be a woman's right, thus violating the right to life of the baby in the womb.
Many things in my life have changed since eighth grade. However, my committed Pro-Life stance, like many of the values I learned as a student at St. Peter, have not just remained intact, but have increased in fervor.
I was reminded of all of this as I recently watched my daughter, Victoria, and my niece, Tiffani, board a bus for Washington, D.C. They joined with many students from the Archdiocese of New Orleans to participate in the March for Life, protesting abortion. Despite a 23 hour bus trip, one in which Tiffani awoke to find her missing pillow around her sleeping cousin's neck, Victoria has already asked to return next year. She relished her time spent with friends, made numerous deposits to her memory bank, and was given the opportunity to take a stand against abortion.
While I am grateful for her experiences, and for Mrs. Dupont and Mrs. Buras who chaperoned the group, my prayers continue. I pray that the purpose of the trip, the support of the rights of the unborn, does not just remain with these students, but grows as they do. Perhaps they will return to Washington, D.C. to celebrate the overturning of Roe v. Wade

No comments:

Post a Comment