Thursday, January 20, 2011

Water Along the Way

About the time I became pregnant with my first child, my husband started to run. Michael soon began to lose weight, and I seemed to find every pound he lost. Not content with merely jogging around the neighborhood, he began to time himself, started to compete in local races, and prepared for a marathon, which is 26.2 miles of running bliss.
After his first marathon, he threw himself on the sofa and said, "Crazy people run marathons." The next day was spent in bed, and the day after that, he was back on the road, training for the another marathon. This time his goal was to qualify for the Boston Marathon.
Michael and I recently took a little trek down memory lane as we spoke of his running days. During that time, he logged thousands of miles, ran countless races, and completed over a dozen marathons, including the one in Boston. I asked him to tell me the secret of his success in finishing every marathon he started. Was it his diligence in training almost every day, rain or shine, heat or cold? Did his disciplined eating habits fuel him for success? Was it the latest and greatest shoes he always wore? Or was it my sometimes loving support that propelled him towards the finish line?
None of the above, although he acknowledges the impossibility of his goal without the proper preparation.
What was his motivation to continue to put one foot in front of the other when his body begged him to stop? "That's easy," he quickly answered, "there were people on the side of the road cheering and offering cups of water." He received encouragement from strangers who gave him water along the way, and told him to keep running. "The most challenging time of all was Heartbreak Hill around the 20 mile mark of the Boston Marathon. But all the way up the hill were crowds, about 10 people deep, yelling for you, ready to hand you water. It makes you keep going."
I cannot even begin to relate, although I've done a little running myself. That is, if running to pick up a child who has fallen off of the monkey bars, chasing an ice cream truck, and sprinting to find my phone to order an item from QVC counts.
On a much grander scale, we are all running our own races. Each journey is as unique as the individual. Sometimes our course is easy, at other times the twists and turns make it more difficult, and I don't know about you, but I've had my share of Heartbreak Hills on the route. Whether we're raising children, maintaining a marriage, navigating job difficulties, struggling with health problems, or dealing with a loss, we know we must keep running, stay focused, and pray for the strength to make it to the finish line. And I think we can all admit the importance of the support we receive from friends, and even strangers, as we travel on.
This encouragement may not be in the form of a cheer or a cup of water, but often I've been refreshed by a brief conversation, comforted by a smile when I'm weary, or had my thirst for advice quenched by the wise and honest counsel of a friend.
In your corner of the world, as your travel your own path, I pray you will find the encouragement and motivation to keep going. Even if we are strangers, may my sincere prayer be a small cup of water along your way.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

1 comment:

  1. And refreshment in the form of blog posts like this! Really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete