Thursday, February 24, 2011

Imitating Christ

I will never be on American Idol. First of all, I'm too old. Secondly, I can't sing. Third, well, do I really need a third reason? The first two pretty much disqualify me from becoming actively involved in the talent competition enjoyed by millions.
During the tryouts this year, I noticed several contestants auditioning with songs made famous by one of the judges, Steven Tyler. They sought after and, every time I tuned in, received his approval. I guess the nod from the artist was validation of their talent.
I can identify with the desire for approval, and I've wasted too much time in my life trying to gain acceptance by people. The older I get, the more my focus becomes upward, and the more I aim to please the Creator of all.
Ephesians 5:1,2 compels me. "Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do because you are His dear children. Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered Himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God." This Scripture was summed up succinctly with the letters, WWJD, asking the question, "What Would Jesus Do?"
Toyohiko Kagawa (so glad I'm writing and not pronouncing this) seems to have lived his adult life answering that question. Born in 1888, in Kobe, Japan, Kagawa was orphaned early, lived with his widowed stepmother, and then his uncle. He attended Bible class to learn English, and was disowned when he became a Christian during his teen years.
Kagawa believed in putting his Christianity into action. He lived among the poor, in a six feet square shed, as a missionary and social reformist, and was eventually arrested for his role in labor activism. Following a devastating earthquake, Kagawa was asked to help rebuild the nation because of his ability to reorganize and restructure. He was released from prison into his new role, but declined the money and benefits attached to the job saying, "To work with the poor, I must be poor." He is also quoted as saying, "I read in a book where a man called Christ went about doing good. It is very disconcerting to me that I am so satisfied with just going about."
Few of us will live a life like that of Toyohiko Kagawa. And that's okay. But it's not okay if we don't acknowledge, develop, and use the gifts God has placed within us. In our brief appearance on planet Earth, we have the responsibility to touch our corner of the world with the love of God. When we stand before Him, this audience of One, may our lives demonstrate the use of the talents He entrusted to us. To the best of our abilities, may we leave nothing unsaid, undone, unwritten, or unsung. May we hear, not "You're going to Hollywood," but "Well, done, my good and faithful servant!" (Matthew 25:21)

No comments:

Post a Comment