Thursday, March 3, 2011

Friends

I'm worried about Elise.
Am I concerned with her health? No. Glory to God, every test and scan proves that she continues to be cancer-free.
Is she experiencing financial difficulty? Apparently not. In a recent apartment move, she told her roommates that she would take the larger bedroom with the private bath even though it will cost her more each month. Pretty impressive for someone who, at the time, didn't have a job. I guess she figured she had a Daddy and would go to him. She knows better than to ask me for money; I always tell her to get a job. (At least she's too smart to point out the fact that I don't work.)
The reason I'm worried about Elise is because, although she lives within walking distance to Nicholls State, I rarely hear a word about classes, teachers, homework, or tests. I hear lots about the friends she works out with, the places they go, the beach trip they're planning, their bike rides, shopping sprees, and even the meals they prepare.
Elise assures me of their enrollment at NSU, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to discover that in the midst of all of their adventures, they forgot to register for college. I've even threatened to ride to Thibodaux and haul them all to the Admissions Office. Elise just laughs and tells me not to worry.
King Solomon would tell me the same thing, for he knew the importance of friendships. In Ecclesiastes 4:9-12, he wrote, "Two are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Likewise, two people lying close together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone? A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back to back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken."
I am truly grateful for the friendships Elise has found. She knows that more can be accomplished when you have someone helping you, like when you move into a new apartment! Even if a friend can't help you with your work, their encouragement is priceless. Working out is much more fun with a friend and greatly helps the time go by faster. I don't know if I'd still show up at the gym if I didn't have friends there to talk to me.
Friends also keep me from falling. Linda Green, one of my dear friends, says, "If you're the smartest person in your circle, you need a new circle." Well, I'm smart enough to know I'm not smart enough. And the older I get, the more I realize that I know less than I thought. I think that all my ideas and opinions are right. No, I think they're brilliant. I love my smart and discerning friends who are honest with me.
And on the really bad days in my life, I just need the comfort of someone's company. The people who have let me sob on their shoulders. The ones who don't attempt to explain life, or tell me to put my chin up, but allow me to vent, or to mourn. Sometimes the world can be a very cold place. Friends may not be able to change the temperature, but their companionship helps to take away the chill.
True friends are loyal. They have each other's backs, will protect the other, and most importantly, pray for one another.
So, Elise, cherish your friends. And I really do love when you call me every day, but tomorrow, could we please talk about school?
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment