Thursday, March 24, 2011

Heart Makeover

I don't remember when the shift occurred, but it has definitely happened. I now consult my girls for advice on fashion and make-up. I'm not sure if that's good or bad news for me. Granted, I prefer the way I look when I follow their advice, but the process is sometimes painful. And lengthy. But always fruitful.
Last week we had another episode of "Getting Mom Ready to Leave the House." I was headed to church to deliver a message into which I had poured hours in both preparation and prayer. It only took me a few minutes to dress and apply make-up. "Is this outfit alright?" I asked the girls. With minimal changes, my clothes were approved. Turning to Lauren, I asked, "Do my eyes look okay?"
"They're fine," she said, unconvincingly.
"What about my blush?" I continued.
"You don't have any on," Lauren said.
"Yes, I do," I insisted.
"Let me add some and fix your eye shadow. And that shade of lipstick is wrong for you."
"I'm not wearing any lipstick!"
Oh, how I wish I was making this up, no pun intended. This really is my life. I thought everything was fine until I had someone with a little more experience help out. Lauren can do wonders with cosmetics and I must admit it was worth the time I spent allowing her to correct my efforts.
When my needs turn inward, I seek God's help by praying the words found in Psalm 139: 23-24. "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life."
As I turn my heart towards my God, He faithfully instructs me, and helps me to correct my efforts. Sometimes I have to add a little more love and mercy to my words. Often, I'm challenged to alter my thoughts, and almost always I am led to examine my motives. I don't want to just do the right things, I want to do them for the right reasons.
The good news is that I always prefer the way I am after I submit my heart to God and respond to His Will. The process is sometimes lengthy. And painful. But always fruitful.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment