Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Women's Bible Group

I sat in the waiting room of the doctor's office, looked around, and wondered, "Where did Michael send me?" My shoulder had been hurting for a few weeks. Whether he was concerned for me, or just tired of my complaints, my husband made an appointment and gave me an address. I should have been more involved in the process. The other patients looked as though they were seriously injured. Some had crutches, others had casts, and since I wanted neither, I politely approached the receptionist and said, "I think I'm in the wrong place." Her expression led me to believe I was the first person to express that concern, so I kept talking, "My shoulder's just bothering me. Well, it really hurts when I lift my arm and…"
"Have a seat. I'll call you when it's your turn."
My turn came quickly. I guess she didn't want me escaping, or worse, talking to the other patients. In any case, I was x-rayed, treated, and on my way.
Only a few weeks later, I had a similar experience. This time, I was in Houston with a friend who had invited me to a writer's seminar. I sat in the room filled with authors and speakers and had trouble quieting the question, "Am I in the wrong place?" Although uncomfortable being there, I stayed, met new people, and had a great time.
In contrast to the above experiences, I never question myself on Tuesday afternoons. That portion of my week is devoted to a Women's Bible Study where I meet with a group of friends to discuss God's Word. We share Scriptures, and stories, and concern for our children. And we pray. It's always a surprise to see who will be there each week. I never know who will be released, or arrested. Oh, I forgot to mention, the Bible Study is conducted in the Sherman Walker Correctional Facility.
I love to study the Bible with these ladies and every week I gain fresh insights as I look at Scriptures from their perspective. They are precious to me. I pray for them, learn from them, and yearn for God's Word to permeate their lives.
If you were given a glimpse of our group, I might stand out since I'm the only one not in uniform. (Sort of like I did at the doctor's office because I didn't have crutches or a cast.) However, a closer look would reveal a group of hearts eager to learn from each other and the Word of God so that when we leave the room, we are a little better than when we arrived.
Yes, on Tuesday afternoons, I know I'm in the right place.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment