Thursday, May 5, 2011

Lens of God's Love

"What do you want for your birthday and Mother's Day?"
I hate that question, but I do understand it. Because I've probably returned as many gifts from my husband as I've kept, Michael has become quite apprehensive before expending any energy in buying gifts for me. What he does not know is that I am now committed to a 'no return' policy. I will keep, use, and appreciate any and every gift he takes his time to select. However, thinking I would save him time and money, I answered, "Nothing. I really don't need a thing." And I meant it.
Michael left the house in search of a new grill, which he is unfortunately buying too early for me to pawn off as a Father's Day gift. A few hours later, he found me on the patio. "Guess what I bought for your birthday?" He grinned while holding a Cabela's bag.
"Well, I hope it's fudge. That's the only thing I want from Cabela's, and I think fudge is a wonderful birthday gift."
"Sunglasses!" he announced.
"Oh, no," I groaned, totally dismissing my new pledge to appreciate all gifts.
"But these are different…" he began.
"Save it," I said, stopping him before he launched into full salesman mode. "No matter what you've read, somehow I will scratch them. Or sit on them. Or lose them."
"Not if you keep them…"
"I know. I know… in the special brown pouch…" I said. We've played out this scene before.
"It's not just a pouch. Look. You can use it to clean the lenses."
I tried on the sunglasses before simply and honestly saying, "Thank you."
A couple of days later, Monique asked me, via facebook, what I wanted for Mother's Day. I guess she forgot about my birthday. The first thing that came to my mind was fried pickles. (Let's just totally ignore the fact that fudge and fried pickles rank high on my wish list.) In response to my daughter's question I answered, "I would like fried pickles from the Wharf in Orange Beach, Alabama." Monique has not yet issued a response to my request.
In the meantime, I've been wearing my new sunglasses. What a difference from the ones I usually wear. These filter the glare and improve the visual quality. My new sunglasses literally change the way I see things.
Much more important than sunglasses is the lens through which I view life. I tend to look through the proverbial rose colored glasses, which casts a cheerful and optimistic view on even the worst of situations. I don't wish to look through a magnifying lens, exaggerating faults, and focusing on the smallest of defects. Mother Teresa said, "If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
Speaking of love, perhaps that would offer the best view of all, looking at people through the lens of God's love. His love cuts out the glare of my judgment, gives me a more realistic view of the situation, and improves the way I see things. That's it! I'm going to remind myself to look at life through love every time I reach for my new sunglasses.
And speaking of sunglasses, the next time I hear from Monique I will offer her the use of my new pair. She may need them for the drive to Alabama.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment