Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tiffani's Graduation

Congratulations to the Class of 2011. You have probably anticipated this moment for a very long time. The years devoted to your education will be crowned with a well deserved degree, and as soon as that paper is in your hand, your parents will likely breathe a huge sigh of relief. While you may view this day as an end to your education, I pray it is only a step to the next level of learning.
A recent survey revealed that one-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives, 42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college, and 80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year. I hope the Class of 2011 does their job to improve these statistics. Be good stewards of the brain God issued to you, and never stop learning. Above all, place the Word of God on your "Must Read" list of books.
Of the many students who will cross a stage, accept a diploma, and turn a tassel during graduation ceremonies this year, I am blessed to know several, and have not neglected to pray for each of them. One of these new high-school graduates is my next door neighbor, and niece, Tiffani Serven. I'll let you read the note I'm putting in the envelope with her gift.
Dear Tiffani,
Thank you for the graduation picture. Lauren has already taped it to a kitchen cabinet. It's a beautiful photo, and just as good as the many others taken throughout the years. That collection includes class, volleyball, cheerleading, wedding, family reunion and prom pictures. And although I love each and every tangible and artfully captured treasure, the pictures I have in my mind are the ones I see when I think of you. These are the scenes I hope to forever hold in my heart, for it's there that I still see you and Victoria playing volleyball in the pool, sitting at the table eating chicken fajitas, crashed out in my bed after a long day at school, jumping on the trampoline, running after the ice cream man, working on an art project, inventing a new recipe, experimenting with a pottery wheel, and finding me in PJs to talk me into letting y'all buy a fish. However, even more than I cherish the past, I anticipate your future. You have been fully prepared academically and trained in the character of Christ.
Remember the time Victoria broke her arm? Not when she was in Kindergarten, ran up the high slide the wrong way, and fell off when a student came sliding down. It was the year before; she fell while climbing in the gym. After surgery, and a night in the hospital, I brought her home and set her up on the couch. You walked into the living room holding your latest gift, a puppy named Sable, carefully placed Sable in Victoria's good arm and left her there to comfort your cousin.
As you walk into your future, you do so fully equipped with many God-given gifts. I pray you use those gifts in service to God and to the people with whom He graces your life. Continue to bring comfort into lives which have been broken. Speak strength into the weary. Encourage the exhausted, and urge them to hold on to hope. And as you walk, know that my prayers surround you.
I love you forever,
Aunt Ronny.

No comments:

Post a Comment