Friday, September 16, 2011

Eternal Preparation

"Your shoes gave me a blister." Lauren said as she walked through the front door.
"So I guess you won't wear them again."
"Yes, I will, but I'll just be prepared."
Maybe it's just me, but blisters are not even close to one of the things for which I want to prepare. No shoes are that cute.
I do enjoy preparing for the days when Victoria invites the cheerleaders from the Junior class to eat and get ready for a game at our house. My family enjoys this time, too, for they know that despite any culinary disasters they may have endured during the week, I will rally and rebound when we have guests. Victoria's job is to issue the invitations, then I proceed with the preparations.
Jesus understands preparations. In John 14, we are told He is preparing a place for us in His Father's house. When questioned by Thomas as to the way to get there, Jesus responded in verse 6, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
The Life Application Bible comments, "As the way, Jesus is our path to the Father. As the truth, He is the reality of all God's promises. As the life, He joins His divine life to ours, both now and eternally."
Although it would be easy to stop here and rest on our assurance of eternal life, I believe we, as Christians, have a responsibility to go a step further. I think it's our job to share this message, issue this invitation, and spread the good news to those in our lives. God says in Isaiah 52:7 that the feet of such people are beautiful. "How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of the messenger who brings good news, the good news of peace and salvation, the news that the God of Israel reigns."
But before you go, wait up for Lauren. She's preparing for blisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment