Friday, September 23, 2011

Fruit in All Seasons

The season is changing. I can feel it in the air. Well, sometimes I can. The slightest cool breeze is enough to signal the change that's about to take place. My plants already know it. I've eaten my final home-grown banana pepper, cut the last two gardenia blooms from the bush, and water the periwinkles with the hope of coaxing their pink blooms just a little longer. As I slowly say goodbye to the summer, I look forward to the next season, for with it comes chrysanthemums, beautiful autumn colors, and my favorite fruit, satsumas.
Just as surely as Fall follows Summer, the seasons of life change. The passing of one brings the dawn of the next, and the wise fully embrace the new season with joy, anticipation, and faith. Since it's impossible to live in either yesterday, or tomorrow, I am determined to make the most of the season I find myself in today. I believe we are given an appropriate task to accomplish in every phase of our lives. It's up to me to discover, accept, and appreciate God's purpose and timing for each portion of my life.
In an recent effort to try and figure out what I am supposed to be doing with this season, I was instantly calmed by reading Jeremiah 17:7-10. There I discovered that by simply trusting and placing confidence in the Lord, I'm blessed, and like a well-watered tree, I will never fail to bear fruit. And that's my desire: to be fruitful and productive and accomplish something during every season.
I found it easier to assess my life when I was younger. As a student, frequent evaluations informed me of the results of my studying. Raising young children caused me to daily gauge my child-rearing techniques and adjust as needed. Teaching also kept me alert, constantly measuring test results and seeking better methods of instruction.
Now, I find fewer outward signs of productivity. Perhaps that's part of my present season. Maybe my script calls for me not to do more, but to be more. To be more faithful, more prayerful, more joyful, more peaceful. I no longer seek to fill my days with activities which keep me busy, rather I've been filling my heart with an increasing number of prayer requests which cause me to run to my Father.
John 15 records Jesus' instruction to stay close to Him, like a branch attached to the vine, so that we can be fruitful. The fruit of a life joined to His are listed in Galatians 5:22: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. What a huge accomplishment it would be to exhibit this fruit every day of every season of our lives. Not only would it add a greater dimension to our lives, but we would be able to nourish those in need. Times may change, but the fruit of the Holy Spirit is always in season.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment