Friday, February 24, 2012

Guarding the Treasure

I usually get a little nervous around an armored car. The security guards look as though they are taking the responsibility of protecting the cash very seriously and I wouldn’t want to get in their way.
Come to think of it, most of the guards I’ve observed are quite intent. I once watched a TV program which showcased Dorothy’s ruby slippers. I was surprised, and a little amused, to watch the procession of people guarding those red shoes. I don’t happen to put the same value on those shoes as other people do, but that’s okay.
Soldiers who watch over the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the guards at Buckingham Palace, the men and women who guard the Hope Diamond, and the thousands of security personnel stationed to protect people and treasures around the globe go through rigorous training to qualify them to protect such valuables. I believe the best guards are placed around the greatest treasures.
Personally, I can think of no greater treasure than our children. My husband and I make no apologies for doing our best to guard the gifts God has given to us. It’s not an easy job and hasn’t always made us popular with them, but we have been committed to their protection.
Years ago, one daughter introduced us to a young man she had met at college. Later, she asked us what we thought. I told her we wanted some time to get to know him. She expressed her fear that her new friend might feel we didn't like him. I bit my tongue while her father chose a more diplomatic approach. He explained to her that we did not have to win him over; he had to impress us. She was our treasure and we were determined to stand guard and protect her.
On another occasion, while discussing her relationship with her boyfriend, a different college-age daughter said, "Well, it's my life."
"Don’t be ridiculous." I quickly responded. (My husband was not around to buffer my words.) "It's not just your life. It's my life, too, and the lives of everyone who loves you and rushes in with comfort every time you're hurt. In the end, it may be your decision, but I will not stand by silently and agree with this destructive relationship."
Sometimes I feel hugely inadequate for this job of parenting. More than once I have said, somewhat jokingly, "I apologize for everything I did wrong, and anything I did right was probably an accident." With only one child still in high school, you might think I would be coasting through this time. I'm not. I hate to say, "No. Never. Not on my watch." when I'd much rather say, "Yes! Yes! Yes!"
(How do they respond to my answers? Usually much better than I do when my Heavenly Father's answers to my prayers don't conform to my plans, but let's not talk about that.)
I can't imagine a day when I will ever forget to pray for help as I walk through, and work through, this parenting thing. I choose to trust God, Who is the greatest Guard of all, to protect my treasures. I do not have a Hope diamond, but I have been blessed with children filled with hope and bright with promise. I am entrusting them to God’s faithful watch.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment