Thursday, February 2, 2012

Kerri's Brisket

Kerri's brisket is the best. Everyone knows that. Well, at least everyone in my family. If there's an event calling for brisket, my niece cooks it. And if she prepares it for her husband and son, she often shares a portion with us. I think she was more than a little surprised when I asked her, again!, for the recipe. She's explained it to me in the past, but I apparently put it in my mental file marked, "Forget this information because you will never use it."

She began, "Well, do you have a blue pan?"

"No. Should I?"

"Yes. You can get it at Wal Mart. It looks like the pan Aunt Ann always uses to bring the turkey for Christmas."

In our family, once you experience success with a dish, an unwritten rule states you will supply that dish at subsequent events. Ann's husband, Mike, always prepares the turkey.

"Or," Kerri continued, "you can borrow mine."

"I'll borrow yours."

"Fine. Now, you need two bottles of sauce, but don't even bother looking for one of them. The only place you can get it is Matherne's"

"Where do I get the other one?"

"Anywhere. I'll go to Matherne's for you and bring the sauce when I bring you the blue pan."

And she did. After working all day, she picked up her son Dylan, and brought me everything I needed for a successful brisket before going home to fix dinner for her family.

Speaking of Dylan, it wasn't long ago when he walked into my kitchen and proudly handed me a gift.

"What's this for?" I asked.

"It's just because I love you."

The pretty notepads, stamped with ASAP, sit on my desk; a gentle reminder to Always Say A Prayer. At this moment, my prayer is one of gratitude, not just for Kerri and Dylan, but for my other nieces and nephews. Each of them graces my life with kindness, generosity, wisdom, and wit. I pray for their protection and obedience to God's direction. May they daily use their lives in service to God and others.

I'm not sure what Kerri's prayers began with today, but they probably ended with, "And could You please remind Aunt Ronny to return my blue pan?"



Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com.

1 comment: