Thursday, March 29, 2012

Matt and the Falling Ceiling

Pieces of sheetrock do not just fall from the ceiling. Granted, they were tiny pieces. At first I thought the little white specks around my sewing machine were just lint or dust. After a few days, I decided to look up, saw a slight bulge in the ceiling, and informed my husband. Michael and I then ignored the problem. It's no wonder our marriage has lasted thirty years. We're quite a team.
Eventually I moved the sewing machine that's even older than my wedding vows. It still works so I have no desire to replace it. (The marriage and the machine.) When water started dripping onto the floor, it was time to pay more than attention to the problem. It was time to call Matt.
My brother Matt is the expert in our family. Not only is he capable of building or repairing anything, he remains calm throughout the process. Well, except for the time Michael decided to help him install laminate flooring. It was back in the day when the planks still had to be glued. Michael was told to leave the bracing in place until the glue dried so the planks wouldn't separate. Not thinking Matt would notice, he ignored the instruction. Matt noticed.
"Now I can't finish the job," he said.
"What!" I didn't even try to remain calm.
"Michael ruined the floor. I can't finish now."
"It's not a big deal," Michael said. "It's a floor. We walk on it. Who cares if there's a gap?"
We all know who cares. Michael promised to do better and we're still walking on the floor with one gap. Because he takes such pride in his work, Matt is the person we call when there's a job to do.
Emotions are a lot like my shedding ceiling. They are an alert to an underlying situation. Feeling of anger, fear, envy, or frustration are indicators of issues that must be addressed. Our choice is how we will respond to them.
Ignoring the problem never makes it go away; it only delays a resolution. Neil Anderson writes, "You never bury dead feelings; you bury them alive and they will surface in some way that is not healthy."
Neither is lashing out an effective method. You may initially feel better, but the cost of wounding those around you only creates more problems. Getting to the root of the problem and fixing it at the source offers a lasting solution. On occasions far too numerous to count, I have sought the counsel and comfort from a friend.
Having people in my life with whom I can be emotionally honest is one of the many gifts God has graciously bestowed. My close friends have three things in common. First of all, they love God and the wisdom of His Word. Secondly, I trust in their ability to keep what I say confidential. Finally, although never something I consciously sought after, I realize all of my close friends really love my children. Of this my children should be grateful, for my friends honestly respond in the best interest of both my child and myself, never failing to defend a child who needs it.
As of this writing, Matt has resealed the area around the tub spout, the source of the problem. The water stopped leaking, the area has dried, and Matt assures me he will repair the sheetrock soon. Well, he didn’t actually say 'soon.' I added that because it's time for another brother/sister lunch. Not only can he take care of our home, he's a great listener and has no idea how many times I have taken his advice in other matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment