Thursday, August 15, 2013

Projects, Projects Everywhere



Boxes, bags, and clusters of items yet to be identified fill my home’s hallway, living room, kitchen, and dining room. It’s the aftermath of Victoria moving to college, Elise moving home, and an untimely decision to swap the furniture in two rooms. I’d call my home a work in progress, but progress stopped the minute I brought Elise’s desk home, placed it in the center of the living room, and began to paint it. As soon as the desk dries, I’ll send it to Victoria, then  return to sorting through books I probably won’t read, CDs no one wants to hear, and floppy disks from computers long gone.
            But don’t worry. I have a vision I’m working towards and won’t stop until the job is done. (Or until something else needs to be painted.) I guess that’s why I don’t panic when I have to step over plastic bags filled with Elise’s clothes, boxes of wires without coordinating appliances and pieces of fabric waiting to be turned into dresses for my granddaughters. Everything will be put away in time, sewing will soon resume, and Elise will sort through her college bags before graduate school begins. I’ll just keep doing a little each day until the last envelope filled with wallet sized school pictures is put into a photo album. (Why didn’t the kids give them all away and why do I keep every single one?)
            Projects. I have lots of them at the moment. And it just reminds me that God does, too. Although I’d prefer to point out the work that needs to be done in the lives of others, God continually redirects my thoughts home, to my own clutter and chaos.
I haven’t yet matured beyond some disappointments, patience is taking her time to get here into my life, I’m still lugging around a few useless opinions, and I’m frustrated over my inability to change others. And here, at the point of brutal honesty before my God, I bow and once again ask His mercy to cover my failings, knowing with all of my heart He has a plan for me and will continue to work on it. Paul said it best, “Being confident of this, that He Who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Jesus Christ.” Philippians 1:6
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment