Thursday, August 8, 2013

Tears



Adeline collapsed in tears onto the shoulders of Lauren, her mother. It’s tough to be 14 months old, too tired to play, but unwilling to stop long enough to nap. They entered the empty elevator and just before the doors closed, they were joined by others. Adeline, the social butterfly, sprang into action.
            She lifted her head to smile at her new audience, while vigorously waving her right hand. As the elevator ascended, Adeline entertained the small group. When it stopped, the doors of the elevator opened, allowing the people to exit, then the tears resumed.
            If I were a psychologist, I’d use a few multisyllabic words to replace this unanalyzed grandmother’s explanation for Adeline’s actions. She saves her tears for the one who daily comforts her and meets her needs, and simply enjoys the company of others who pass through her life.
            I can relate to Adeline. Maybe you can, too. Swallow a sob to manufacture a smile. Afraid that if I think too long, or talk  too much, I’ll start crying and won’t be able to stop. Putting on a good front, not wanting to upset anyone, yet burdened with a hurt, a need, or the helplessness of watching a loved one experience the consequences of wrong choices. It’s then I turn to the Lord and seem to live out Psalm 142. “I cry aloud to the Lord; I lift up my voice to the Lord for mercy. I pour out my complaint before Him; before Him I tell my trouble.”
            When do I cry? Occasionally while reading a book, watching a movie, or in the company of a great friend, but mostly, like Adeline,  when the doors close and I am safe with the One Who loves me.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment