Friday, September 27, 2013

One Last Time



            I forgot.
            Navigating through the traffic to get there, circling the lot for a parking spot, moving from room to room for her to have tests run, back to the clinic to wait for the doctor, and not once did I remember the importance of the day.
            Dr. Yu entered the room, smiled and said, “Elise, this is the last time I get to see you at Children’s.”
            Then I remembered. The hospital services children from birth through 21 years of age. Elise’s 22nd birthday brings a halt to the excellent care she has received at that facility.
            Over the past 11 years, Children’s Hospital has been the launching pad for many pleas for help. Those prayers haven’t been limited to concerns about Elise, but for fellow patients, children being wheeled down the hallways, and parents wishing for good test results. I can’t walk through that place without my heart being tugged in many different directions.
            After our visit with Dr. Yu, there was one more scan for Elise to get. We waited the few minutes it took for her to be called in, and as soon as the scan was completed we bolted for the door.
            Our feet had barely touched the parking lot pavement when the wail of an approaching ambulance caught our attention. It passed us on its way to the Emergency Room. Just that quickly I was back in time 11 years ago when I rode in an ambulance with Elise on that same route. The memory of that experience raced through my mind as I thought, our journey has ended, but someone else’s is just beginning. And there, right there behind Children’s Hospital, I thanked God for my child and prayed for the one now arriving.
            In 2 Corinthians 1:3,4 Paul offers praise to God, “who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.”  I vividly remember the many people God used to provide strength and encouragement to us during our time at Children’s. I hope I never forget.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment