Friday, May 2, 2014

The Anchor Holds



            Why is there a key on an anchor keychain in my makeup bag? I see it every morning and wonder. Clueless as to which lock it opens, I’m beginning to doubt its importance. How it ended up there is as mysterious as its purpose, yet I’m unsure of what I should do with it.
            The keychain is much easier to explain. I’m drawn to nautical attire, colors, décor and symbols. In addition to being a nautical icon, the anchor is one of the earliest signs of Christianity and has been found in Roman catacombs. Persecution of early Christians left them with the need to identify themselves to fellow believers with a sign which would go undetected by their enemies. An anchor, a symbol which concealed the shape of the cross, was one such sign. The choice of the symbol may stem from Hebrews 6:19, “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.”
            My hope is weighted, held in place and secured firmly in the unchanging nature of God Who is Truth and cannot lie. His Word is my lifeline. When the winds of change blow, I stay afloat because the anchor for my soul is deeply embedded in Him.  I am not overcome by murky water lapping my little boat, nor am I tossed into a sea of uncertainty, for I am steadied by hope. When the storm has calmed, I draw the anchor even closer as I continue on, filled with trust in the One Who sets my sail.
            So I guess I’ll keep the mysterious little key and anchor keychain. It’s a tangible reminder of hope, which unlocks the door to peace, joy, and contentment. But is it too much to hope the anchor also triggers the memory for the purpose of that key?
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment