Thursday, May 22, 2014

Whose Are You?



            What is this obsession with monograms? They’re everywhere. Tote bags, beach towels, shirts and shorts. Phone cases, sunglasses, caps and even car windshields.
            Now before you think I’m being critical, or have somehow become immune to the largely Southern trend of labeling stuff with our initials, let me admit to purchasing an embroidery machine five years ago. I didn’t want to go into business, but rather be able to add personalization to, well, anything.
            I started by putting my husband’s monogram on the cuff of his shirts, and even mistakenly put his initials on my son’s shirt. Countless items for my daughters went through the machine and emerged identifying the owner of each item.
            And just when I thought there as a lull in my home’s embroidery activity, two granddaughters entered my life. Their names or initials have been added to hair bows, blankets, beach towels, swim suits, dresses, diaper covers… you get the point.
            History tracks this practice of documentation to a time, centuries ago, when the Romans and Greeks labeled coins with initials and names to indicate where they were from or the rulers in office at the time. Ages before that, the prophet recorded God’s words in Isaiah 49:15, 16 “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.”
            That Scripture provokes an incredible image of a God determined to remember His chosen people. John 10:27, 28 offers words, which for me, cement the permanence of my relationship with God. “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.”
             Beautiful monograms clearly indicate a person’s identity. However, in the whole grand scheme of life, who you are is not nearly as important as whose you are

No comments:

Post a Comment