Thursday, June 5, 2014

Adventures at Chuck E. Cheese



I wanted to take my granddaughters Adeline, 2, and Olivia, 1, to Chuck E. Cheese. I thought it was a good idea. Wait. It gets worse. We went on a Saturday night. My husband Michael and I brought Adeline;  my son-in-law Frank and Olivia met us there.
            The packed parking lot should have scared us away, but it didn’t. Adeline’s screams when the greeter stamped a number on her arm should have caused us to turn around; instead, we marched on. “Secure a table and I’ll get the pizza and tokens.” I didn’t mean to sound so bossy; the chaos we willingly entered required a plan if we were going to succeed in my mission to have a fun night with the girls.
            Tables were occupied with adults whose time here left them shell-shocked. Moving in and out of the tables and games were children who were running and screaming. Adeline and Olivia were slow to leave our sides. Gradually, they began to enjoy a plastic play space and slide reserved for toddlers. From there they graduated to sitting on a yellow bus that, when fed a token, sang “The Wheels on the Bus.” Over and over they rode and sang and performed the appropriate hand motions until their pizza was ready.
            I should have called it a night after they ate, but no, I had to push on and attempt to conquer the games. Frank and I (once Michael sat the table, he wisely stayed put) brought the girls from game to game, thrilled to watch the girls’ growing excitement. At this point, Olivia was scooping up forgotten tickets that lay on the floor and Adeline was running back to the table periodically for bites of pizza.
            Then it happened. Sensory overload. While pressing a lever to feed balls into a mechanical dog’s mouth, one of their favorite activities up to this point, they crashed. Olivia stopped dancing, held the bar of the game and leaned against the machine and faded away. Adeline went between two of the games, leaned against one, and refused to come out of the little alley where she sought refuge. We left with a mound of tickets that may or may not ever be redeemed.
            Sometimes, I’d like to hide, too. Or fade away. If the personal challenges of life aren’t enough, tragedies on the local, national, and world-wide news are often overwhelming.
            Adeline and Olivia will one day face challenges greater than the noisy chaos of a game room. By that time, I hope to have taught them Psalm 94:17-19 the Scripture I run to when I’m stressed. The Message version of the Bible reads, “If God hadn’t been there for me, I never would have made it. The minute I said, “I’m slipping, I’m falling,” your love, God, took hold and held me fast. When I was upset and beside myself, you calmed me down and cheered me up.”
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment