Thursday, July 17, 2014

Beach Times



Right before sunset. It’s the favorite part of my beach day. Sunbathers, motionless during the heat of the day, have disappeared in search of nourishment, aloe lotion, or both. Children who tirelessly played in the waves have deserted the beach, likely gearing up with flashlights and buckets before returning to look for sand crabs. And then there’s our family.
            Through the years this has been our time for family photos (including snapshots of the little ones dressed as mermaids), challenging another family to a volleyball game, grilling and eating dinner outside, or walking swiftly in the pool until it becomes a whirlpool. My sister Kay and I brought two dozen people to join us on the Gulf coast this year, but last summer the number was almost double that. As I sat by the edge of the water last week, wishing for time to slow down, I thought of the people who have joined us in the past, and the unique layer each added to our beach memories. And then, like I do every year, I write my worries in the sand and wait until every letter is lapped up by the salty water which mixes easily with my tears.
            The beach is my preferred place of  prayer and I recently read something which helped me to understand why. “Go outside. Sometimes improving your connection with the living God is that simple: go outside and pray. The Kentucky farmer and writer Wendell Berry once commented, ‘The great visionary encounters (in the Bible) did not take place in temples but in sheep pastures, in the desert, in the wilderness, on mountains, on the shores of rivers and the sea… I don’t think it’s enough appreciated how much an outdoor book the Bible is… it is best read and understood outdoors.’”
            I’ve never regretted a trip to the beach. The sun, the fun, the food and even the day I’m forced to take time for pictures. But my most loved part of all are the sweet moments I spend praying at the coastline. Right before sunset.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment