Thursday, July 3, 2014

I Just Want Painless Compassion



So my knee started hurting. I blamed the bouillie cake I made. To be more specific, I blamed the two servings of bouillie cake I ate. One of the ‘interesting only to me’ effects of sugar is pain in my knee. My husband said that since the muscle (yeah, right) above it hurt, I likely twisted my knee. My daughter Elise’s diagnosis? “It’s just sympathy pain.”
“What?” I asked the child whose study of Counseling should have made her more understanding.
            “Mrs. Jackie just had her knee replaced. You went to visit her and now your knee hurts. Sympathy pain.” Yes, my friend had knee surgery. Yes, I went to visit her, but no, I am not so compassionate as to actually feel her pain.
            Whatever the cause, a little rest, ice, and Aleve worked to get me up and almost running, and Elise’s comment got me thinking. What if I did experience the same hurt, physical or emotional, as the people I care about? How differently would I act?
            On several occasions, the Bible lists the actions of Jesus after he was moved with compassion toward those in need. He healed, delivered, fed, and even brought a boy back from the dead when he saw the grief of his widowed mother. (Luke 7:12-15) But Jesus was able to do those things; what can we do? Maybe we could live by the Golden Rule and treat others the way we’d wish to be treated. Or take the advice of Mother Teresa, “If you can’t feed 100 people, feed just one.” And always pray.
            If there’s one thing I did while resting my knee, it was pray for Jackie’s. Every time it hurt to walk, I prayed for her to be free from pain and when the area above it hurt (yes, Elise, in the same exact place Jackie’s hurt) I prayed for her complete recovery and mobility.
            Even though I’m feeling much better, I still need to be more compassionate. To be moved to respond to others’ needs. To feel their hurt in my heart; but please not their pain in my knee.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment