Thursday, September 2, 2010

Light Your Path

I crept down the stairs at 5:00 a.m. to dry a batch of clothes. I didn’t want to awaken Victoria, who was sleeping on the couch because her room had been painted, and I didn’t want her smelling the fumes, and her furniture was still out of place. Discovering Lauren had already done the laundry the night before was a pleasant surprise. Still not wanting to disturb Victoria’s sleep, I decided to return to bed, but not before turning off the lamp and the light which had been on all night.
Forty-five minutes later, I headed back downstairs to begin breakfast. I decided not to turn on any lights, and attempted to navigate the stairway by memory. Apparently I don’t have a very good memory because just as I was thinking about loading a flashlight application onto my phone, I missed a step. Suddenly I didn’t care that everyone else was sleeping. I screamed. It didn’t do much good because no one woke up. Not Victoria, who was around the corner, but wearing ear plugs. Not my husband or son. Nope, Michael and Geoffrey remained asleep. Not even Lauren, although she later told me she heard a scream, but thought it was one of her crazy dreams.
I managed to get up, hopped into the kitchen, and began to fry bacon, Victoria’s breakfast staple. Someone falling down stairs and screaming may fail to disturb her sleep, but the smell of bacon works every time. I put a bag of ice on my foot, waited only a few seconds, and then called my husband’s cell phone. At least he responded to my call, if not to my screams.
I have to admit Michael took very good care of me, except when he ran into my foot. Twice. My foot stayed elevated, and iced, and while I waited for the Aleve to kick in, he went shopping for ice cream and chocolate candy.
Most of my day was spent alone, and while I don’t mind being alone, I don’t like being immobile. The lack of activity gave me much time to think, and to pray, and to think about how I should spend more time praying than thinking.
My little trip down the stairs (pun intended) resulted in a minor inconvenience, which left me with a major lesson. I was so foolish to choose to walk in darkness when there was an abundance of light available.
What greater foolishness it would be to walk through my life in darkness, without the Light of God’s Word guiding me. Psalm 119:105 clearly states, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.” The Bible contains the guidance I need for my life. If I turn my back on the wisdom it contains, I will be unsure of my steps, stumble, and fall. But I never have to be without it, for God’s Word is available to me. It’s my choice to read and obey it. And it’s your choice, too. May we both choose wisely.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment