Thursday, September 23, 2010

Stay on Fire without Burning Out

Hearts in Touch
By Ronny Michel
The look on her face had me puzzled. Wasn’t it the expression she had a few days earlier upon realizing the actual size of the mini Blizzards at Dairy Queen? Yes, that was it, but tonight there was just a dab of fear mixed in. What could have possibly caused Victoria to break rank during the first quarter of the football game and run to one of her cheerleading coaches?
I learned soon enough. Mrs. Eymard found me in the bleachers and said, “Victoria left her straightener on and she’s worried the house might burn down.”
I missed the next several plays of the game as I sent text messages, arranged for someone to check on the house, and took a little trip back in time to a winter afternoon when I was the stay-at-home mom of two preschoolers.
Michael had come home for lunch and built a fire in the fireplace for me to enjoy while Monique and Geoffrey napped. As I relaxed before the fire, God gave me instructions about my future. Little did I know, my future would cast me with five children, a full-time teaching position, and a husband whose job included much travel. Less did I realize how many times I would return to that afternoon, that fire, and that precious quiet time with my God. I’m grateful I paid attention when I heard the Great Teacher impress upon my heart, “I’m going to show you how to stay on fire without burning out.” And although many, many words have been written on the topic, God knows me, my love of simplicity, and my limited attention span, so His lesson was reduced to three easy points.
Feed the flame. The love and energy I have for God, my family, and the precious people and activities He places in my life will grow if I keep the fire burning. Wood is necessary for a fire; proper diet, exercise, and rest for a body; and the spiritual nutrition of God’s Word and prayer are needed for me to burn brightly for Him.
Remove the ashes. Spent ashes in a fireplace should not be allowed to accumulate, but must be removed. I must release my grip on things that are over. Clinging to the past is draining, and hinders the new things God wants to do in my life. I must always move on with God.
Stay within the boundaries. A fire in a fireplace is warm and inviting. The same fire, if placed on a coffee table, would be destructive, cause people to flee, and may even require professional help to extinguish. I have to know and stay within my limits to maximize my life. As much as I would like, I cannot change others. I have a difficult enough time trying to make changes in my own life.
Back to the present. Monique unplugged the very hot straightener before any damage was done. Our team won the game. And I was reminded of a simple lesson that has seen me through the complexities of life.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment