Thursday, September 16, 2010

Untangling My Messes

I tried to ignore it, but it would not disappear. Every time I sat at my desk, the shiny confusion challenged me. Left by my daughter, Lauren apparently thought I would be able to untangle the two chains. Both were gifts; neither cheap. Both were knotted; neither could be worn in their present state. Both were Lauren’s; neither Lauren nor I could fix the problem.

Oh, don’t think I didn’t try. Armed with straight pins and a pair of reading glasses, I did my best to free the necklaces from each other. Every time I tried, I failed. The precious little pile of confusion was worthless despite the original price tags.

One day, Victoria walked in, looked at the mess on my desk, and said, “Hey Mom, want me to try to fix this?”

“Sure”, I said, “Every time I try, it seems to get worse.”

Merely minutes later, two freed necklaces dangled from Victoria’s hands. At that moment, she earned the title, The Untangler, and is the only person we go to with knotted necklaces.

I wish that jewelry was the only thing that ever got mixed up, but it hasn’t been that way in my life. There are times when my emotions are in a maze, situations become complicated, and words only add to the worry. And every time I try to fix things, they seem to get worse. When I can’t think of one more thing to do or say, I pray. Even if the prayers are finished, and the dilemma doesn’t change, I do. There’s just something about putting my problem in the Hands of the One Who soothes my soul.

God brings clarity to my confusion, straightens out the snags in my thoughts, and frees me from fears as I trust Him with my future. One day, I’ll learn to go to God immediately, for He is the only answer to my questions. As David wrote, “And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in You.” (Psalm 39:7)

Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment