Thursday, October 14, 2010

Mirror, Mirror

Of the many mirrors on my wall, which one do I like best of all?
Well, that’s easy: it’s the full length mirror Monique brought home after one college semester. In the absence of space elsewhere, I placed it against a wall in my bedroom. I should have also placed a sticker on it: “Warning: Objects in mirror are larger than they appear.” A slight bow in the center of the mirror caused me to look slimmer. Oh, how I loved the lie Monique’s mirror told.
Looking in that mirror has not been the only time I’ve had a distorted view of myself. I’ve sometimes defined myself by the mistakes I’ve made in the past. Or I’ve looked to others whom I’ve thought of as more successful, and walked away with a very dim view of my life. Equally as deceptive is to compare myself to those who choices have been less than stellar, then suffer from an inflated ego. When I want to get an accurate view of myself, I don’t look to the world, but to the Word to determine who I am.
According to God’s Word, I am His workmanship, created in His own image, fearfully and wonderfully made. That’s just the beginning. As a Christian, I am a member of His household, a fellow citizen with God’s people, an heir of God, and His treasured possession. He orders my steps, makes me more than a conqueror, gives me hope for the future, and has promised to never leave or forsake me.
Maybe I should put these Scripture verses around my bathroom mirror so that I can always be reminded of who I am in Christ. I’m probably not the only person to suffer from mistaken identity. Should you find someone searching for answers, or even using you as their mirror, cast a gentle, true reflection as you point them to Jesus.

Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment