Thursday, October 7, 2010

Wedding Dress Music

“I think I’ve found my wedding dress,” Monique said as soon as I answered her call. “Want to come with me to try it on?”
I would not have answered more quickly or enthusiastically if she had asked me to go to the beach, hire a chef, or have liposuction. (Although hiring a chef would have been close.) “Of course I’ll be there! When are we leaving?” I asked. Shortly after, my Mom, Aunt Judy, Lauren, and I arranged our schedules for the big day.
In addition to the dress she found on the internet, Monique selected a few others. When she walked out in the first one, we all gasped and commented, over and over again, on the beautiful dress. She finally said, “Stop. Other people aren’t talking. We need to be quiet.” She was right. Girls were walking around in beautiful wedding gowns, and no one else was oohhing or aahhing. We all just looked at each other, and assured her we would try to be quiet.
We got better and better with each dress. We smiled, nodded, and every time Monique disappeared into the fitting room to put on a new gown, we complimented each other’s behavior. It was during one of these intervals that Lauren said, “I can’t believe the music that’s playing here.” The rest of us were busy burying our emotions, and had no time to analyze the lyrics of the songs being piped in. Turning to the salesperson, Lauren said, “Why would you play such depressing music on one of the happiest days of my sister’s life?” The surprised employee said something about being tired of other music when Lauren added, “These songs are bringing back memories of all my failed relationships. I just want you to know when I try on wedding gowns, I’m bringing my own soundtrack.”
Once I started listening to the words, I had to agree with Lauren. There were songs with lyrics such as, “I’m not a princess, this ain’t a fairy tale, I’m not the one you’ll sweep off her feet…” Or “I’ll never get over you getting over me.” And how about, “Remember all the things we wanted. Now our memories, they’re haunted. We were always meant to say goodbye.”
Lauren was right. Although the tunes are melodic, many of the lyrics are just sad. I’m not an expert on psychology or the effect of music. Actually, I’m not an expert on anything; however, I believe songs can find a home in our minds, and dwelling upon thoughts of heartbreak, sorrow, and regret will produce sadness. In Philippians 4:8, Paul instructed us to think on things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy. Since thoughts become words, and words become actions, I want my mind to be filled with life-giving thoughts.
No song could have dampened the mood when Monique walked out of the dressing room the final time. She was wearing THE dress. “She’s glowing,” Aunt Judy said, and we all added our own exclamations of approval, regardless of the other solemn shoppers. Monique would not buy the dress until her Dad and her other two sisters saw it. A few hours later, we returned for the purchase.
Now my daughters are worried because I haven’t bought my dress. At least there are no music issues when I shop. Regardless of the store’s song selections, the only lyrics I hear in my mind are from U2, “I still haven’t found what I’m looking for.” But when I do find it, I’d like there to be lots of oohhing and aahhing.
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment